Sunday, July 26, 2009

What We're Doing For Love


I recently came across an article that discusses statistics for compensation of people who major in certain areas. Of course, not surprising is the inclusion of theatre in the "bottom 10 majors", saying the starting median salary of someone studying drama is $35,000 and the mid-career median salary being $55,000.

As a recent college graduate, I must say that the first figure seems pretty ridiculous. I would be ecstatic to hold a job in the theatre right now that starts with a $35,000 yearly salary. Unfortunately, it has become tougher for people my age to get these kinds of jobs because theaters (rightfully so) have other priorities when it comes to staffing. My fear is that because there is a shortage of theatre jobs that pay a suitable wage, more or more wonderful theatre artists will gravitate towards television and/or film to make ends meat.

That being said, I hope that anyone who's in a similar situation to this remembers this struggle when/if they "make it" so we can all do something about this! In the meantime, reading statistics like this reminds me how much I love what I do and I will do what is necessary to be a part of the theatre community and expand the possibilities of our form.

No comments:

Post a Comment